Weddings at The Arboretum FAQ
Table of Contents
- What is included in The Arboretum Wedding Day Rental?
- What are the capacity limits and restrictions (in-covid and non-covid circumstances)?
- Can we hire an outside catering services vendor?
- What are the options to host a ceremony only at the Arboretum?
- Can our guests smoke outside during our wedding day?
- We are planning a small ceremony with 10 people in attendance. Are we required to pay a ceremony site rental fee?
- Why do we need to pay a SOCAN and Re:Sound fee?
- We are planning to do most of the decorating ourselves. Can we get in the day before to decorate?
- We are coming to The Arboretum to have our engagement/wedding photos taken. Is a permit or a photography fee required?
- Can we hold a small wedding ceremony at one of the gardens on the grounds?
- Do you offer discounts for University of Guelph Alumni?
- Can we put a tent on the West Lawn or Conifer Ceremony Site?
Exclusive use of the Auditorium, Boardroom, Sunroom and West Lawn from 8 a.m. until 1 a.m., round & rectangular tables and chairs, large screen and sound system with a podium, microphone, and auxiliary input jack, free parking (including accessible parking), outside patio (not licensed), and stage.
Non-covid maximum capacities consist of 120 banquet style and 150 reception style. These capacities may change slightly depending on your set-up configuration. In-covid, we cannot guarantee how the capacities may change in the future. We will be following the provincial and public health guidelines as well as the University's policies which to this point have been stricter than the province. Mandatory protocol measures, rental time restrictions and extra charges may apply to comply with COVID-19 health & safety regulations.
University of Guelph Hospitality Services caters all events at the Arboretum. Hospitality Services offers an award-winning team of chefs and professional event staff to ensure you and your guests enjoy exceptional dining and outstanding service.
The Arboretum offers two designated ceremony sites for rental: The West Lawn/Auditorium (8:30 a.m. -5 p.m.) and the Conifer Outdoor Ceremony Site (dawn until dusk). The rental of outdoor chairs, delivery and pick-up is coordinated by the rental client.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the grounds. The University of Guelph is a tobacco and smoke-free facility: Smoke-Free U of G | (uoguelph.ca)
Yes. All ceremonies, not matter how small, must rent one of the two designated wedding ceremony sites. Rental fees help to support year-round maintenance of Arboretum grounds, gardens, plant collections and trails.
SOCAN and Re:Sound music licenses grant businesses permission to play music. The nominal fees collected from the rental client are paid directly to SOCAN and Re:Sound through our quarterly reporting process. For more information, visit the SOCAN AND Re:Sound websites.
The Arboretum offers a discount rental rate for wedding couples who would like to book the Auditorium the evening before their wedding day (5 p.m. on) to decorate and/or host their rehearsal. Please contact the Bookings Coordinator for rates and availability.
There is a $100 photography donation for professional photos taken on the grounds. The donation helps support year-round maintenance of the Arboretum grounds, gardens, plant collections and trails and can be made through our secure online donations page. Photography fees are waived if hosting your wedding ceremony or reception at The Arboretum.
The gardens are beautiful, but off-limits for ceremonies. The Arboretum offers two designated ceremony sites for rental: The West Lawn/Auditorium (8:30 a.m. -5 p.m.) and Conifer Outdoor Ceremony Site (dawn until dusk).
We are truly honoured UoG Alumni choose to host their weddings at The Arboretum; however, we do not offer Alumni discounts.
Yes. Any structure (including tents) to be erected on The Arboretum grounds must receive initial approval from The Arboretum and University of Guelph Physical Resources. A building permit is required for tents 20X30 and larger. This process takes a minimum of six weeks. Please contact the Booking Coordinator for more details.